Coronavirus update – 25th September 2020
In June we were able to re-start club rides. Each week we have selected venues where members could meet for a chat and either a picnic lunch or a cafe meal. This has generally worked well and we have had a full programme on Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday each week.
In August we marked the Group’s 90th anniversary with a ride to Overstrand, where 10 members met for a picnic lunch and a celebratory cake.
The Committee was able to meet in late September, for the first time since February. They discussed several aspects of the club’s ongoing activities during the Covid crisis and have made the following decisions.
1. The Clubroom events programme will not re-start in the foreseeable future in line with Government guidelines.
2. The normal Annual Lunch and Prizegiving is unlikely to happen for the current season.
3. Trophies for the Annual Attendance competitions will still be awarded and will be presented at a later date on a club ride.
4. We do not know at this stage whether we are required to hold an AGM this autumn and are awaiting advice from headquarters.
5. From November, and during the winter months ALL CLUB RIDES will change to an 11:00am meeting time to avoid being at cafes during their busiest lunchtime period.
Using E-Bikes on Club rides
In the last couple of years, several members have acquired e-bikes and are now using them on club rides. While this is welcomed, we should all bear in mind that using them in a group is not without problems. Because of their characteristics, they tend to be much quicker uphill than normal bicycles. If you are riding one, please try to keep the group in formation on hills, and if you need to overtake a slower ride, please do so with care and courtesy.
We have a map library which has almost all of the OS Landranger maps of the UK.
If you would like to borrow one (or more), contact Bryan W on 01603 736248 or 07815838213.
We also have a library of, mostly Natural History DVD’s. If you would like more information please contact Robert A on 01603 861175